Requirements Education / Experience
- BS in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical)
- Five (5) years of experience in pharmaceutical industry. A strong compliance background is required.
- PR Engineering License, Certification or related professional field certification,
- Excellent leadership, program management, and organizational skills.
- Bilingual fluency in English and Spanish.
- Strong mechanical troubleshooting skills.
- Computer systems use.
- Analytical problem solving.
- Knowledge of computer programs such as in MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, building automation applications.
Summary of Position
Under the direction of the Director, Engineering, Safety and Environmental, the Utilities Supervisor is responsible for the operation of the Site Utilities Systems. This includes the generation and distribution of potable water, purified water, steam, compressed air, and chilled water. It also includes operation of the fire pumps, the incinerator and the wastewater treatment plant. Plans, organizes and implement programs to ensure proper and efficient operation of Utilities systems to avoid unscheduled downtime. Manages the site’s Energy Conservation initiatives, which include electricity, diesel and water. Recommends actions to reduce energy usage, implements them and monitors performance.
FUNCTIONS / PRIMARY RESPONSABILITIES
- Knowledgeable with the operation of the steam boilers, site electricity distribution system, potable water systems, United Stated Pharmacopeia (USP) water system, chilled water, compressed air system, fire pumps, incinerators and wastewater treatment plant.
- Monitors the performance of utilities to maintain optimum conditions in compliance with environmental and safety regulations to protect the environment and the safety and health of the personnel.
- Implements improvements to ensure utilities performance is effective and efficient.
- Design and execute the site energy conservation strategy. Identify reduction initiatives in the consumption of electricity, diesel and water. Identify water recycling initiatives in the utilities area.
- Responsible for the site Energy Star certification.
- Maintain the area documentation updated and in compliance with government, policies and regulations.
- Assist in the preparation of the Department operational budget (“Profit Plan”) in accordance with the site-manufacturing plan.
- Reinforce plant safety practices and procedures and instructs utility personnel in their use by conducting periodic safety meetings and audits.
- Assist in the selection of operators and measures and evaluates their performance.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of the Utilities Department Detailed Action Plan (DAP’s) and recommends changes and improvements.
- Responsible for waste management, ensuring that biomedical, non-hazardous, and hazardous wastes are properly segregated, labeled and handled.
- Manages employee’s attendance in the electronic system. Completes weekly sign off for utilities operators and Group Leader.
- Comply with all environmental trainings, procedures, guidelines, practices, current Good Manufacturing Procedures (cGMP’s), permit conditions and internal notifications of any environmental event.
- Perform any other job-related duties as required or that may arise in the future.